Proper specimen collection technique and timeliness in newborn screening are crucial to achieve the goals of early diagnosis and treatment of newborns with screened conditions to avoid disability, morbidity and mortality.
To improve timeliness, healthcare providers should:
- Provide prenatal education and inform parents of the purpose of screening
- Collect a suitable initial specimen within 24-48 hours of birth
- Mail the specimen within 24 hours of collection using the State Program’s delivery method
- Collect a repeat specimen as soon as requested
- Be sure families receive their baby’s newborn screening results